Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Party like it's 1813!

I had a fun opportunity to perform at the first annual Jane Austen Ball. There was whist, period dancing, costumes, pastries, and a little opera.

I made myself a dress--my sewing teacher would be so proud--out of two different dresses purchased at the D.I. In the past, many of my re-purposing projects have not gone exactly as planned. I am happy to say that this one went as smooth as the artificial velvet out of which it was made.
Take note of my MATCHING little red shoes.
Lee was kind enough to record my aria so now I can share it all with you! He had to get a little creative to get a good shot, so there is an odd camera twitch near the beginning, and there was really poor lighting, but other than that the video turned out pretty well! I added subtitles for those of you who aren't fluent in 200 year old Italian, so I hope you enjoy it!


This is from Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri, first performed in 1813, the same year Pride and Prejudice was published. It seemed appropriate for the occasion.


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted a picture of your dress. I couldn't really tell what it looked like when I watched your fabulous performance (lighting and all). Kudos to you and your re-purposing. It does look amazing. I need you to come out and make marvelous creations for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress and the music were quite wonderful!

    ReplyDelete