Friday, July 26, 2013

Samoa Trip: Part 2





Now that I again have internet access, I can continue my travel blog. We left off with a charming video at the Taga blowholes, here are a couple pictures of the same. They don't do the blowholes themselves justice, but it proves I was actually there.
Lee got a little too close to the crashing waves and got soaked from the waste down.
That afternoon we caught a much smaller, stinkier ferry back to Upolu. I say stinky because someone had already been violently ill on board and no one bothered to clean it up. They just kindof dumped water on it. I guess so they could spread the love, and the smell, to a wider audience. Yeah. The trip took much longer on rougher seas in a boat with a smaller engine, and it was torturous. I was so glad when we finally made port. By that time it was very dark (it's winter there, so it got dark around seven) and we were happy to hop on a bus and make it to our hotel.
I hate this boat with a burning passion too fierce for words.
As the next was Sunday, and Samoans take their Sabbath day worship very seriously, we didn't really do a lot of sight seeing. We attended church at the stake center right across from the Apia Temple and visited some kings tombs and took a look at some government buildings.
I'm proud to say this isn't a postcard photo, we actually took this picture ourselves!
The entrance to the old parliament building.
The step pyramid entombing one of Samoa's many kings.
On Monday the group wasn't doing any organized activity, it was every man for himself. We went snorkeling at the Palolo Marine Reserve. We rented two snorkel/mask sets from the tiny shack at the entrance, only one of them leaked. By three of us taking turns and one of us guarding gear (because he might be scared of the ocean) we still managed to really enjoy the reef and the hundreds of fishes. I wish I had a camera that would take photos under water, you'll just have to content yourself with a shot or two from the beach.
Lee and I wading out to the reef. 
Just another stunning ocean view. NBD.
We also visited the flea market, where we bought the majority of our souvenirs. We found lots of jewelry, woven and carved tradition mats and bowls, and a thoroughly filling lunch.
Kava bowls and various serving dishes, all carved wood.
Weapons, jewelry, and woven bags.











There was a fireside that evening that Dad was pretty keen on attending, the rest of us not so much. Instead, we went to the Papase'ea sliding rocks: a series of 3 waterfalls down slick rocks, creating natural water slides. We had a fabulous time, even the old lady! No one there seemed to be having more fun or to slide down more fearlessly than a pair of 9-10 year old boys. My first time down each of the falls, I asked them where the best spot to slide was as they seemed to have gone down all of them a dozen times. I hope you enjoy the videos of our slides, I admit to being completely terrified. That is, in part, because without shorts over my swimsuit, there was no friction, no drag, nothing to slow me down. I think I caught air about half way down and it just became a free fall.

The view from the top. We had to hike down 200+ stairs to get to the river and waterfalls.
In front of the largest of the sliding rocks.
Very funny Lee. The water wasn't even cold.
Lee shoots down the smallest slide.
Lee goes down the bottom slide, Mom is ready to follow behind.

I hope you enjoyed part two, tune in for the rest! This time I won't have to wait around for my internet to be activated, so you won't have as long to wait.

1 comment: