Sunday, May 19, 2019

Our Last Adventures in California



As basically none of you know, we're moving! Our family will be relocating to Salt Lake City at the beginning of June. It's not that I meant to keep it a secret or anything, I just hate talking about it. In my many moves, I have gotten some weird responses and comments from people and I just don't want to deal with that. While we are excited about this change, we're not unaware of how fortunate we've been to live in Torrance for the past year. As such, we've tried to squeeze as much as possible into our last couple of months here.




We spent time with cousins on Easter. We dyed eggs and had a very fun egg hunt, I think all the eggs were found...only time will tell! We have also revisited some of our favorite haunts: the beach, the aquarium, theme parks...







Definitely more grimace than smile.
Sorry you aren't tall enough to ride anything.



We got kites for Easter, but it took us a couple weeks to try them out. Very cheap "pocket kites" that fold up and fit in their own bags. I knew of one place that was always windy and a fun place to hang out...beaches are a great place for flying kites.

The kites basically fly themselves.

Laszlo climbed up all by himself!
Most recently we got to go with our family to an open house day at JPL in Pasadena. For those not into tech and aerospace, that would be NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. There were displays, movies, you could walk through and look into actual labs where work is done; it's like going to space camp if space camp were as crowded as Disneyland and all the camp counselors were actual rocket scientists. The kids liked seeing the different vehicles--or getting run over by them. A few of those science people took the time to explain and answer our kids' questions, which was pretty cool of them considering how much was going on. It would be easy to overlook a few pre-schoolers who were staring uncomprehending at a rover that is exactly like one wandering Mars right now.


This miniature prototype is testing itself on interesting new terrain.



I will say, this activity was not a winner with my children. Even though they got a really big cool sticker of Europa, they were all too happy to leave. My nephew Kaden on the other hand had so many questions, maybe he's the future aerospace engineer in the family.

We still have a couple weeks before our move, so we'll continue to try to fit all the places (and food) we love from around south bay before we leave. If I don't eat Korean BBQ tacos again before we move, I will have all the regrets.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for moving! Grandpa and I loved coming to Cal to see you. We will miss that. I think we will be able to see you a little more once you move. I love this blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete