Thursday, January 3, 2013

Holiday Crafts and Fun

 If you are wondering about our Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, here is the skinny:

Here I am with the Gingerbread House I decorated. This is the first picture we took with Lee's lovely new camera!

After a terrific Christmas Eve with the Johnston family, (including a snow-covered Hogle Zoo excursion) we spent Christmas morning with the Burnett's in Bountiful enjoying the company and food that goes along with Christmas.
After dinner, we went to Odgen to visit the Phillips family. We enjoyed games, movies, and more goodies!
We volunteered to watch little baby Aubrie (3 month old angel and first Phillips grandbaby) so her parents could go see The Hobbit. She refused to smile for the camera, though she was smiley enough when it wasn't around. It wasn't for lack of trying though! We tried several takes.
Almost...smile...


 Even though we didn't spend Christmas at our little apartment, we still did a little family photo with our humble holiday decor.
 As soon as we got back from our vacationing, Lee went back to work and I got sewing! I got a beautiful new sewing machine for Christmas! I started in on the crafting right away. I am too cheap/poor to buy fabric, so I have stuck to repurposing items I already have. I turned an unflattering skirt into a fun dressy top, which I wore New Years Eve in the following photos.
 I also tore up an old pair of jeans that I turned into a plethora of good things! including this cute flower pin. I wore it for New Years too, but here is a better look at it.

I too the back pocket area of the jeans to make a "tech" pouch to put in my purse. It should help protect my phone, ipod, and kindle when I need to travel. I also made a little card pouch for those days when I don't want to carry a purse or bulky wallet. You can't really tell, but I used the zipper from the jeans for the main pocket of my tech pouch so the kindle doesn't fall out.

 This is my crowning glory of DIY creativity. I had a great "A Hard Days Night" t-shirt that got too small. and holes. and stains. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it! I just cut the logo out and recycled it.

The bag is made of the same pair of jeans as all my other denim projects (there is a LOT of fabric in a pair of jeans) and the lining is made of an old, hole riddled, Shade camisole. I used the camisole straps to make little ties to help keep the bag closed.

I promise I won't turn this into a crafting blog, but I hope you enjoy seeing what I have been up to! As I find more useless stuff around my house, I will surely find more ways to repurpose. Happy 2013!

3 comments:

  1. I like crafting blogs, so its fine with me. I can't tell you how impressed I am at both your ingenuity and your industriousness. I compliment Lee's sister on producing a remarkably cute baby. I wish you would make me a Beatles purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative Claire. Iam going to be less creative by quoting a few movies at you:

    "I shall tear it to pieces when we get back, I daresay."

    and

    "I didn't like the Beatles and I don't like you!!"

    Now as an extra challenge, can you tell me what movies they are from? I know you have seen both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pride and Prejudice. The second one is from Greedy, which I have not actually seen. But a google search solved that for me. I hear it in Phil Hartman's voice, I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete