Saturday, October 6, 2012

MVP

I've been doing improv for about four years. I learned improv from people who had been improvising for ten years. I remember always feeling like their skills were so remarkable, that level of performance was beyond me.

When The Antics first started I was grateful to be part of it, even if I thought I was the least funny performer in the troupe. I definitely felt as though I was small potatoes compared to my fellow troupe members. I knew I would never be an "audience favorite," but I would always support my team mates. I assume that means that in the years that followed I was critical of my performance and looked for improvement, at least to the point that I became more experienced and confident.

I know that some of my weaknesses have become, if not my strongest assets, at least on par with those around me. It's very gratifying to say something to a room full of people and they respond with laughter because they know where you're coming from. In our competition show last night, myself and one other improviser were voted MVPs of the evening by the audience. And while it was just one show, I have been pleasantly surprised to be a standout player, even if it's only for one show.

From what I understand, it takes 10 years to become an expert at something. I am still far from expertise, but it's been a fun way to learn and grow.

3 comments:

  1. Wait you just became the "Most Vain Player"? For shame...no wait...congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've always been *my* MVP. Sarah said that you were clearly the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were clearly a stand out at the improv on Friday night in Centerville.

    ReplyDelete