Wednesday, October 24, 2012

This is My Life

Yesterday started out like any other day. Oh, wait. No it didn't. It started out with the first snow of the season and the power being out. I am so grateful our water heater isn't dependent on electricity. I went to work, expecting the usual chaos.

On an unrelated note that has nothing whatsoever to do with my life, for all of you teachers out there: if you need a sub the day your students are supposed to go on a walking field trip, you should inform the sub ahead of time. You should especially inform them ahead of time if they accepted the job 24 hours in advance. You had plenty of time to warn them. The sub might have dressed differently had he/she know he/she would spend the better part of his/her day outside. Also, you should invite parent helpers to keep track of the class instead of expecting the sub to keep track of 20-30 students on his/her own.

Anyway, back to my day! I left work and headed straight to campus to prepare for our Murder Mystery Dinner. It took an hour or so to get things sorted out, another 30 minutes to get in costume, and by the time all that was done our audience was arriving. It was a terrifically fun evening! The whole production went off without a hitch and we had close to 60 people in attendance. Funny thing: when you are in costume and in character, interacting with the audience can be a trifle awkward. Some of them forget that underneath that you are still a person and they can be quite rude. It's surprisingly a lot like working in a call center. You are just a voice, just a novelty and so you get treated accordingly.
We made it home around 9:00 PM. As much fun as it is to be performing, I think I will want to take a break from side projects for a while. I prefer spending at least some evenings at home.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of teacher makes a sub go on the field trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy working in call centers. Continual rude jabs help my self esteem. That's why I worked at Discover Card for a full two weeks.

    ReplyDelete