Monday, September 24, 2012

My Netflix Picks

When Lee is doing homework late, or I don't have a teaching job, I watch a lot of television. It's noise for when I am sick of the silence and a good background for all sorts of chores and activities. As such, I am pretty much an expert on what is what on instant queue.

My Top TV Picks

1. Sherlock
There are now two seasons available and this show is, let me tell you, blow your mind good. each episode is a movie. They are all over an hour long, which is good because there are so few of them. I cannot recommend this to you enough. WATCH IT.

2. Doctor Who
I am currently watching this series, and it is fun. I think the subject matter and language is family friendly and the aliens are goofy looking enough to not be too scary. If you want a show that has drama and action without gore, you picked the right one. Also, it is hilarious. There are several Doctor Whos to pick from on netflix, I am recommending the one that is dated in the 2000s or 2010s with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant as the first two actors listed.

3. 30 Rock
If you haven't watching this show yet, start now. The pilot isn't great, but keep watching. The better you get to know the characters, the funnier it gets. I wasn't hooked by the first episode, but I saw the promise in it. I was well rewarded a hundred times over with smart humor, fun cameos, and brilliant performing.

4. Downton Abbey
Just watch it. Now. History is the best.

5. Parks and Recreation
Another hilarious show in the style of The Office, but with less mean people and more...diversity? The characters are great, and it pokes fun at small towns and government. My favorite character? Ron Swanson: libertarian, head of parks department, avid hunter, mustache grower, and eater of giant steaks.

Here are the rest of my recommendations in no particular order: Firefly, Dollhouse, The Kennedys, Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar, John Pinette: I'm Starvin', How I Met Your Mother, Futurama, and, of course, Shark Week.


1 comment:

  1. "There's nothing you can get from a book that you can't get from TV faster..."

    ReplyDelete