Friday, September 7, 2012

New Perspective

I now have experienced what is considered by many to be the worst job in existence: Substitute teaching. Actually, maybe only teachers feel that way. Overall, I felt I did pretty well. I didn't lose any students and no one died.
I remember that my fifth grade class could make substitutes cry, because it wasn't just one or two of the students acting out, it was a dozen students acting out. In retrospect, that was cruel. However, all the sub needed to do was make an example of the ring leaders. Send them (us) to the office, take away recess, separate talkers from their compatriots, and give them (us) the evil eye.
I think my past dealings with substitutes have made me more prepared. I was so often part of the nightmare classroom that now those classes are no longer nightmares, they're just an excuse to cut the cute stuff and go straight for the threats and glowering.


2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a past school felon to whip those whippersnappers into shape...Go get 'em tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always keep them after class writing out lines with a special magical pen:

    I must not act out...

    ReplyDelete