Friday, April 23, 2010

The Fellowship of the Burnetts

Life Lesson #10: Every time you watch a movie, it makes it so much more fun if you cast yourself and people you know as characters in that movie.

I've done this any number of times with my friends, but I've decided to try it with my family and that most epic of all epic motion pictures: Lord of the Rings. Please don't be offended by my casting decisions; it's just for a laugh!

Gandalf- Daniel Burnett. He is the oldest in the family, and therefore the wisest. Right? Understudy: Kimball Johnston
Bilbo- Duane Burnett. He's got great stories from his adventures in Samoa, and is fond of delicious, large meals. Understudy: Sonia Johnson
Gollum- Claire Burnett. Yes. You might ask, what am I coveting? Perhaps a degree...a movie...a guitar...an all powerful piece of jewelry...who knows? Understudy: Ian Sanderson
Frodo- Dirk Johnson. Might seem like a mild mannered individual, but I think he can do pretty much anything he puts his mind to! Understudy: Weston Johnston
Sam- Laura Johnson. She is sweet and caring but also tougher than tough. Understudy: Liam Sanderson
Merry- Elisabeth Sanderson. In our childhood, she and I were always pulling crazy shenanigans. Now she is all grown up and saving Rohan and the Shire and what not. Understudies: Cooper Johnston, Katie Burnett
Pippin- Claire Burnett. Yes, I double cast myself. Everyone will remember me as the wild and slightly foolish one who got into trouble and had to get dragged out. But remember all the cool grown up like stuff I did? I grew up!...Eventually...Understudies: Stella Burnett, Sophie Johnson
Aragorn- Matthew Sanderson. The strong, honorable, and nurturing type. He's a soldier, defending his country and healing at the same time. Understudy: Rivers Burnett
Boromir- This character can be the representation of all the various boyfriends and girlfriends we've had. They seemed fine at the time, but they turned out to kinda be whiner-babies and losers. I'm sure they turn out okay...eventually.
Legolas- Garrett Burnett. Useful in a battle (of the rhetorical sort) Something of a heckler from the sideline, and stunningly good looking. *insert cheesy emoticon here* Understudy: Jordan Burnett
Gimli- Allen Johnston. He is pretty tough, pretty awesome, and also good in a fight. Rhetorical or physical. He is also something of a heckler. Understudy: Wyatt Johnson
Elrond- Jamie Burnett. I think you are slightly psychic. Also, you seem to give wise directions.
Saruman- Julie Burnett. Okay, mostly this was for the hilarity of Julie and Dan having an epic, old man fight. They are equally matched in wise...ness and...beardy...ness? Understudy: Sarah Burnett
Galadriel- Sarah F. W. Burnett. Ridiculously wise--and witty--and beautiful, and probably slightly clairvoyant as well. Understudy: Olivia Johnston
Eowyn- Rebecca Johnston. Woe to any fella who thinks he can best this lady, she has the brain, the brawn, and the beauty. She will take them down. Understudy: Grace Johnston

Now go ahead and argue about my casting decisions by way of posting comments! I will contemplate making changes if you give me a good enough reason to...

8 comments:

  1. Claire may your mind forever revolve around the LOTR's. It is a beautiful thing. However I hope your version includes a glen yarborrough sound track. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm......Who else could do the music? What do you take me for?? I might let Howard Shore take a crack at it, as long as Glen gets to sing all the ballads, and there will be many. As many as Tolkien included in his original work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blah. Tolkien made everyone sing something in his works. As far as I recall, Boromir was the only one that didn't have a singing part in his works from "the original nine."

    Matt-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Boromir is the only one I didn't really cast...So Glen will be all of our singing voices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad as Bilbo is perfect.
    Mom: Sam's gaffer, or maybe Butterbean.
    Kimball would be a good Frodo. Cooper and Weston would join him nicely as Merry and Pippin.
    My kids, depending on the time of day, are cave trolls.
    I'll take Legolas, though I'm really more an elf of the Keebler variety. I think I could pull off a good Denethor too.
    I think you'd be a good Frodo.
    Etc., etc.

    Good game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what it is you saw, for it is also in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be Eowyn as long as I can pick who the head ring wraith is . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can choose any Witch King you want Becky!

    ReplyDelete