Friday, April 9, 2010

MST3K is short for Mystery Science Theater 3000, you guys.

Life Lesson #6: Don't judge an entire genre based on a small number of experiences.

Good Example: I don't really enjoy most romantic comedies, but I love Breakfast at Tiffany's, Hitch, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and a few other select winners. Rather than assuming all Chick-Flicks were as cliche as The Wedding Planner and 27 Dresses, I judged each film on an individual basis.

Bad Example: I have been in seven operas, but I had never sat down and watched one until tonight. From my three years of experience in the USU Opera Company, I had decided that I really didn't like Opera. However, after watching Gianni Schicchi tonight, I must admit I loved it and would gladly watch it again. It was so much fun and had such beautiful music, I really got into it and didn't even mind reading the super titles.

Lesson learned! I guess the majority of any art form is crap. Most movies are crappy--I've seen enough MST3K to know that--Most plays are crappy (cough cough JANE EYRE cough cough) and most songs are crappy. Shania Twain: Exhibit A. But there is really great and original stuff out there. There are great musicals, books, paintings, songs, operas, cartoons, TV shows, cartoons, poems, ballets, plays, and embroidered throw pillows. As long as you are willing to sift through a lot of crap, you'll find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment